Thursday, October 11, 2012

Where Men & Mountains Meet

On Saturday, Oct 13, as part of the Calgary/Banff Wordfest's Banff Distinguished Author Series, I will be opening for the sold out event featuring Martin Amis. It's my first official event in promoting BULL HEAD. Talk about trial by fire. As my wife says, it's like opening for Led Zeppelin.

I'm jeeped to hear Amis read from his latest novel, "Lionel Asbo", a wicked satire with a punchy protagonist that reminds me of Ignatius J. Reilly in "A Confederacy of Dunces" with a profane dash of Sebastian Dangerfield from J.P. Donleavy's "The Ginger Man."

Many moons ago, I lived in Banff and worked at the sadly defunct Banff Book & Art Den. To say I'm looking forward to returning to the town as part of this event is a grievous understatement. It promises to be a great night that also includes Deni Y. Béchard and Mohammed Hanif reading, excellent writers with distinct voices. Let it snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment